Womens Golf News & Notes
BGT La Peñaza Zaragoza
The second round of the BGT Zaragoza womens golf tournament is underway this morning at La Penaza, just outside of the city of Zaragoza in northern Spain. I mention this tournament in particular since it is the first tournament that has been co-sanctioned by the Banesto Golf Tour and the LET Access Series.
Italy’s Laura Sedda is the 1st round leader by 1 shot. The talented young italian carded a 1st round 70 under windy conditions at La Peñaza. Follow the scoring via the LET Access Series website.
A shout out to everyone to consider sponsoring more womens golf events and golfers. If your company isn’t involved yet in womens golf, I hope that you will consider approaching the key decision-makers, pr & communications staff and mention the great opportunities that there are today.
Sponsoring a player or a tournament is a great way to get your message across, gain new customers, strengthen your corporate values, and show support for women in sport. It’s also great value for money, compared to sponsorship in other sports. If you’re interested, but not sure who to contact (e.g. a player, a tournament organiser, etc), email me and I’ll try to put you in contact with the right people.
And by the way if your company does/will support a womens golf tournament, a player or one of the tours, we will mention your company (in case you hadn’t already noticed) and no doubt post some photos. Just show up a tournament and say hi.
Women’s Golf News & Notes
- Sad news this week as we learned that the Spanish Golf Federation’s Macarena Tey has passed away. We understand that Maca has been instrumental in the developmental programs in Spain. Players held a moment of silence in remembrance at this week’s Banesto Golf Tour event in Zaragoza.
- Congratulations to Scotland’s Carly Booth for her playoff win at last week’s Dinard Ladies Open. It was fun to be there in person to see and great to see Carly take the title.
- We mentioned them last week, but just want to again give a mention to Generali in particular for their support of womens golf. It’s interesting to see some of the things that we do from the sidelines, but one of the great things about Generali is that they are not just providing financial support. They also show up at the events and are out there encouraging and supporting the golfers. Well done Phillippe ! We encourage golf fans everywhere to consider buying their financial products.
- Tickets are on sale for the ISPS Handa Ladies British Masters golf tournament, 16-19 August, at the Buckinghamshire Golf Club.
- The United Ladies Pro Tour, a new european womens golf minitour has launched its website. We think they have some great ideas, so we’re looking forward to this addition to the european womens golf calendar. We hope that everyone will consider becoming a patron of ULPT.
- It’s tough being Scottish, according to womens tour golfer Heather MacRae. But to the heart of her point, its tough not being Swedish if you’re a womens pro golfer.
- Blackburn pro golfer Corisande Lee may wait another year before her European return, according to Gary York of the Lancashire Telegraph. Since Cori is a good friend, we can only confirm this is also what we’ve heard.
- With Earth Day coming up, just thought we’d mention the twitter accounts few organisations who are helping to bring sustainability to golf: thegolfindex lamangaclub AudubonLife golfpreserves sustainablegolf poodlegolf It’s always worth finding out if there are easy ways to get a bit greener.
Best wishes to all for a great weekend.